Mauzima and Ian booked the Soho Room at Old Marylebone Town Hall for their World Cup quarter final wedding in London on Saturday 7 July 2018. Their ceremony was attended by Ian’s family, all UK-based. They will be celebrating with Mauzima’s family in New Zealand later this year.
Their civil ceremony was a real team effort:
- Mauzima’s parents kick started the engagement ring hunt with a gift
- Friends Igor and Alana gave up their home to accommodate Ian’s family
- Caron drove Mauzima to the Town Hall when their taxi didn’t turn up
- Lorraine created stunning flowers
- Frank and Theresa kept Mauzima calm and looked after George the cat (aged 2, and already on his twelfth life)
- And a home filled with flowers – Mauzima’s dream come true – sent by many dear friends
The 5 boys arrived in a taxi on time. When the taxi failed to collect the 4 girls it was Caron to the rescue. World Cup football – England playing Sweden in the quarter finals – and the Pride in London festival. People everywhere. Caron driving her little red Honda Civic through central London in a mad dash. They made it!
The ceremony was short and relaxed. It was a hot day and boy did they feel it. There were a few giggles when Mauzima mopped Ian’s brow. Was it the heat in the Soho Room or England’s 3pm kick-off that had him sweating? And giggles too when Mauzima stumbled on the “what is mine is yours” line.
Rose was their bridesmaid and she did her job to perfection.
Music is extremely important to them both and it was Ian’s responsibility to ensure that the music truly captured their lives.
- 2:48pm – Mauzima’s entrance to David Bowie’s Let’s Dance
- 2:50pm – first brow wipe
- 2:54pm – vows
- 2:56pm – ring exchange
- 2:58pm – married and first kiss
- 3pm – Ian dancing to That’s What You Are as Mauzima signed the Register and then – a very poignant moment – Mauzima You Know a song composed by Ian for Mauzima’s birthday and recorded at friend Chris’s studio
- 3:04pm – a bold exit to The Raider’s March by John Williams taken from the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) soundtrack
But what of England?
With confetti thrown and a family photograph on the Old Marylebone Town Hall steps, Ian was keen to find out how the match was progressing.
While Ian’s family made their way to a nearby pub, the two of them stayed behind to have some photos taken at the Town Hall.
- 3:20pm – still no news…
Ian was stoic. These photos would be an important reminder of a very special day. And then he realised that the two red Routemaster bus drivers (waiting for their large wedding party to come out) were listening to the match on their radio and giving a running commentary.
Suddenly two guests (from another wedding) came flying out of the Town Hall, arms aloft, screaming.
- 3:30pm – GOAL!!! England 1 Sweden 0
Ian and Mauzima’s reactions were priceless.
The two of them joined the others in time to watch the second half and to see England make it through to the semi-finals for the first time in 28 years. As they entered the pub Mauzima was greeted with loud cheers and claps.
The day finished with dinner in Clerkenwell and drinks at their local.
The Soho Room at Old Marylebone Town Hall is one of 7 ceremony rooms at Westminster Register Office and a firm favourite with my clients. Out of 33 weddings nearly 30% have chosen this room. For more information on wedding photography at Old Marylebone Town Hall please see my page here.
So proud of you big boy.
The photos are beautiful it looks such a lovely day.
You both look so happy and in LOVE…
Lots of ❤️ From Spain